Wednesday 7 December 2011

Not from tomorrow

Today is my birthday. (I'm 21 and a little bit more, thank you for asking!) It seems an auspicious day to launch a new project, one I've been procrastinating over for a little while now. Which is ironic, as a large part of it is about giving up on procrastinating...

Some background. I'm a home educating mother of three, 1 secondary age, 1 primary age, a toddler, and pregnant with our fourth child, due in March. (And yes, if you think that sounds exhausting, it does to me too when I write it down like that!) All of this means that my previous career of computer programmer/ team leader or even that the brief interlude of Montessori teacher doesn't really work any more, and so for the past couple of years I've been mainly concentrating on home and education.

There is a little problem with that. I'm used to working out of the home. I'm used to my own income stream, and a certain sense of self worth that comes from being employed. That may in some ways be society's problem rather than mine, but I've decided that it's time I did something about it. So today, right now, not tomorrow, I'm starting to work towards having a home business, based around blogs, business and the internet.

I have a personal blog already, I'll share more about that later, but it's been running 8 years, has a reasonable sized readership, and ranks reasonably well in a number of different metrics. But it doesn't earn me a lot, mainly as I prefer to keep it as a personal blog. So what I'm planning on doing is launching a couple of other projects, and this blog is going to be my record of what works, what doesn't, what earns money, what costs money, how it works around the family and hopefully some guest posts from other ppl that could be useful to someone else considering this sort of thing. I want to share this journey, I know there are lots of other ppl out there in similar situations, and I want to make this something we can do together. I hope you'll find it interesting and stick around for the ride.

2 comments: